, , ,

Regent's Park


On Sunday, I was itching to get out of the house.

I finished off my dissertation draft in the early afternoon, (that's right folks, I'm finally at the end of the diss road!) pinged it through to my Director of Studies, grabbed a pair of sunglasses and headed out with A to catch some rays.

It was the day of the London Marathon so we knew the centre of town would be swamped. I had three very simple priorities: a green space, some lunch, and some time to read a non-academic book. A had one: ice cream.

We're very fond of Regent's Park after having one of our first dates at London Zoo (it was a good one - I pointed at everything and got very excited) so decided to catch the tube there.

We picked up a Pret lunch from Great Portland Street. I had crayfish and rocket sandwiches, a blueberry probiotic yoghurt drink and some kale crisps. All solid choices. Then we sprawled out on the grass to munch our lunch with some good books. I was reading Shift, the sequel to Wool, which I loved. There were some more fantastic twists in the follow-up, and I now can't wait for exams to be over so I can finish the trilogy with Dust! Read more about the books on my TBR list after I've finished my exams here.


After lunch we had a little stroll around to walk off our sandwiches. Regent's Park really is gorgeously planned out - it was constructed in the 1860s and really reminds me of the Jardins des Tuileries in Paris, which would have been designed and implemented at roughly the same time. It's got similarly long, sweeping tree-lined boulevards and beautiful fountains.


I may have had an immature giggle at the shape of some of the manicured topiaries.


A cute squirrel decided to pose for me.


We walked all the way over to the far side of the park, stopping to admire a cool sculpture of a big cat and his female companion about to pounce.


A and I couldn't resist a bit of pounce-posing ourselves.



They sold ice-cream tubs in the park, but A was really after a cone. We hightailed it back to Queen's Park, found the nearest ice-cream van and got a 99p cone each! With all the trimmings. So nostalgic. (See Instagram shot below, in which I am clearly too thrilled with my cone to care about my makeup smearing all over my eyes). Hey - we may be in our 20s now, but we're still kids at heart.

Post a Comment