,

Light Cobb Salad


This is a salad for people who just can't get excited about veggies.

Let me sell it to you...It's got cheese and bacon in it. Yeah, that's right. Actually I'd say it's a bit of a cheat salad - the tasty, non-green elements pretty much outweigh the actual veg!

I was singing the praises of Byron Burgers' Classic Cobb Salad in my Mini Adventures post the other week. I've been craving another plate of it so much that I decided to recreate it - and what I made ended up being a pared-down version that was a bit lighter, but still delicious!

Here's what you'll need.

Two gem heart lettuces

Two avocados

2 eggs, hard boiled and shelled

Pancetta (fried)

Blue cheese

This recipe is only loosely based on the Byron salad, which also features raw spinach, diced tomatoes and cucumbers and grilled chicken in it, before anyone says that this just ain't how you do a Cobb Salad. I just used what I had in the kitchen. You've gotta work with what you've got. Though I would have liked to have some tomatoes in this!

Chop up your lettuce and lay it on a large plate.

Slice all the rest of your ingredients into small cubes and arrange in rows on top of the lettuce.

Munch.


That's it! Super easy, isn't it? As long as you've prepped your eggs and pancetta, all you'll have to do is assemble everything. The Byron version had tons of bacon and blue cheese on it as well as a creamy vinaigrette, but I held back on all of these. I used just half a small packet of pancetta and a quarter of a pack of blue cheese to give the rest of the veggies some flavour, and sprinkled some olive oil over the top instead of making a mustard-based dressing. Much healthier and easier on the wallet (the Byron salad retails at £10.75, whereas this salad cost about £4 to make). The beauty of salads is that you can play around with quantities and ingredients. This recipe will serve one person as a main or two people as an accompaniment to lunch or dinner - A and I shared it alongside two steaming bowls of carrot and coriander soup.


I reckon this one is best eaten alfresco in the spring sun!


Post a Comment