Touching Base


The past week has been delightfully chilled and slow-moving. I moved all my things out of my house in Cambridge after graduation. I settled back into my family home in London. I started driving lessons (hence the slow-moving part!) I've been helping my parents out around the house and in the garden. We've been picking and cooking artichokes (see above), broad beans the length of my forearm, beetroots and radishes.

The next few months are likely to be more of the same. I've planned a few trips abroad - like I'm going to Paris next week! - but my main focus from here on out will be finding a job or a paid internship, and earning enough to be able to stay in London. 

I thought I'd write a post this evening containing a little pictorial catch-up of what I've been doing these past few days. Oh, and a few links, just because.


I finally made friends with Jake, our college cat, the day I graduated. He's never been friendly before,  but on Saturday he followed me up the stairs, nuzzled into my hip and climbed on to my lap and sat down contentedly. I'm probably going to sound like a cat lady for saying this, but it really felt like he knew I was leaving. *weeps*

The lights of the United States by night, printed on a silk scarf. So pretty!

• Michael Jackson's 'Love Never Felt So Good' is such an earworm. Love that JT is in it too.

• The most hilarious video of a man defenestrating an owl.


I've been reading a lot lately. In June I read Donna Tartt's The Secret History, Hugh Howey's Dust, Cormac McCarthy's The Road, Sarah Vaughan's The Art of Baking Blind, M.R. Carey's The Girl With All The Gifts and re-read the first three volumes in Sophie Kinsella's hilarious Shopaholic series. Then this week I read Paige Toon's newest novel, Thirteen Weddings, on my brand new Kindle. Can't wait to purchase more e-books!

•Jessica's video diary from last year makes me want to book a trip around the world. 

•Why your mid-twenties are in fact pretty damn scary. Life without a 16-25 railcard...

Sour cream gelato with ripe peaches and nutmeg. 


I was pretty proud of this lunch I cooked before graduation. Roasted beetroots, sweet potatoes, normal potatoes, artichokes, a mozzarella, tomato and cucumber salad and a roast chicken. It's so nice to be home with the time to cook properly again. I also did some baking this week - one very wonky Victoria sponge with homemade jam and buttercream, and one slightly prettier cake for A's birthday (recipe coming soon!) 


• Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels churro ice cream sandwiches.

Yesterday, a beautiful short story in the New Yorker by Haruki Murakami. 

It's nearly the weekend! What plans do you have? I reckon a meander down to Borough Market and some organising for my Paris trip will be in order...

Follow me on Bloglovin' | Twitter | Instagram | Wordpress for more adventuresome fun!

Post a Comment