,

Primavera Mushroom


Today I present you with a super quick and healthy snack for your Thursday afternoon!

I'm sick to death about typing posts centred around my dissertation woes (though it's just about rolling now - one and a half sections down, woohoo!) The one thing I want to say on the matter is that I've been exploring the terrain of healthy eating to keep the ol' mental engine fired during the day :)

This is a stuffed Portobello mushroom absolutely bursting with taste and healthy goodness, and best of all, you can pretty much knock this up using what you've already got in your larder or with leftovers. It's very green, so I've nicknamed it the Primavera Mushroom. Seeing as it is now officially Spring (actually - British Summer Time!) I think I'm allowed.

Here's what you'll need:
  • Portobello mushroom (stalk cut off so you're left with a nice bowl)
  • Fennel
  • One clove of garlic
  • Flat-leaf parsley
  • Butter
  • Salt and pepper
  • A couple of slices of bread

Preheat your oven to 200ºC. Coat the cap of the mushroom in olive oil and put it on to a baking tray. Chop your fennel, garlic and parsley finely and mix to make a very easy salsa verde. You can use a little bit of butter to bind it together (or a lot if you like dairy, like me). Pop it into the 'bowl' of the mushroom, then season with salt and pepper. Make a crumb to go over the top by crumbling up any bread you've got knocking around - it really doesn't matter about the quality, the aim is to use up leftovers - I used a couple of slices of sourdough that were going a little bit stale! Whiz the bread together with some chopped parsley, salt and pepper in a food processor. Then bake in the oven at 200ºC for about 15-20 minutes or until tender. Super easy, especially if you've already got the ingredients at home!


This stuffed mushroom is great as a tea-time snack or used as a component in a meal. I ate mine with a pancetta and vegetable soup for lunch, singing 'Portobello Road' from Bedknobs and Broomsticks (yup). 

Let me know if you try making it! Today's lunch was decidedly more naughty - I tried Rose's pesto grilled cheese with tomato soup. Mmm!

Post a Comment